“I’m recording this, because this could be the last thing I’ll ever say. The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion. A 300,000 thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire.
I’m not sorry.
We had it coming.”
– John Carpenter (Narration) –
GUNSHIP – Tech Noir
Greetings, vault dwellers! Welcome to STORGY’s annual short story competition – last year we delved into the macabre sinister town of Shallow Creek, and this year we’re looking at the Annihilation of the world. So get your hazmat suits at the ready, because we’re switching on the Geiger counters and getting locked and loaded for whatever mutated abomination scuttles towards our fortified base!
So what exactly is Annihilation Radiation?
We’re looking to put together an anthology consisting of the best irradiated stories involving the Annihilation of the world. Think Mad Max, The Road, The Book of Eli, Snowpiercer, World War Z, I Am Legend, The Hunger Games, Stake Land, 12 Monkeys and Escape from New York all rolled into one gigantic apocalyptic burrito. We’ll be looking to slice the anthology into THREE sections: BEGINNING, DURING and AFTER. We’re looking for original stories that inspire YOU based on the genre of Annihilation, but don’t think we’re just looking for bleak, melodramatic stories. Oh no! Let’s see those comedic chops in action, or how about a love story set in the irradiated wastelands? Have a fast paced thriller you’ve been saving for such an occasion? Let us know! The decision is up you, my fellow wastelanders!
Instructions for Entering
Click on the following link to access the STORGY Submittable page:
Within 24 hours of entering the ANNIHILATION RADIATION competition you will receive further instructions and one of the following specified period’s within which to set your story:
Panic in the streets. Apartments on fire. And look, it’s raining cats and dogs. Venkman was right. YOUR story will be set before the Annihilation of the world. Secret lovers meeting for one last rendezvous…a family trying to escape the city…a group of teens trying to figure out why they’re starting to grow new appendages…psychic abilities due to contaminated waters…we’re looking for ORIGINAL stories set before the apocalypse. If you decide to enter the competition, you’ll be randomly given one of the three scenarios. Just remember my little mutated marauder – we’re looking for deep layered characters and a good pace. Don’t be mediocre. Be shiny and chrome.
You really get to know a person by the decisions they make in times of strife. We think the Annihilation of the world will test people’s mettle. Courageous acts…or cowardly ones – we want to hear them all. I heard a rumour that this all could have been prevented, if it wasn’t for that one guy who was shaking uncontrollably when he was transporting the top secret radiated phials to the UK. Or there’s been rumours that all this started on a 747 bound for Australia. Whatever the cause – the stories we’re looking for during this crisis is of utmost importance. If you decide to enter the competition, you’ll be randomly given one of the three scenarios. Just remember my little hunter gatherer – not all survivors will be as generous with their diminishing food supplies…
It could be 2019…or 2077 – all we know is that something really bad happened. The air turned poisonous…or did the seas dry up? Come to think of it, did the bombs actually drop? Or was there another cause to the Annihilation? It gets foggy in this old brain of mine…whatever the cause, we’re surviving. And as an extra bonus, I’ve started growing an extra limb! Makes it fine and dandy to scavenge for food in the wasteland. If you decide to enter the competition, you’ll be randomly given one of the three scenarios. Just remember my little scuttling scavenger, you’ve got an 8,000 word limit. Make ’em count!
The Period for Submissions opens on 11th October 2019
1st Prize – £500
2nd Prize – £100
3rd Prize – £50
Finalists will be published in
£10 Entry Fee
- Submissions for the STORGY ANNIHILATION RADIATION Short Story Competition will be accepted from 11th October 2019
- The deadline for receipt of entries is 11.00pm 31st January 2020
How to Enter
Applicants are encouraged to submit online via Submittable as early as possible before the deadline. This gives you more time to acclimatise to the scenario given to you at random (BEGINNING, DURING or AFTER) and hopefully gets that old motorboat brain of yours whirring on full power. And remember what ‘ol Charles Darwin said: “A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.”
Instructions for Entering
- Click on the following link to access the STORGY Submittable page:
- Select the ANNIHILATION RADIATION category and read the Submission Guidelines.
- Complete the submission form as follows:
NAME: Author Name
BIO & DETAILS: Short biographical statement (including publication history), contact details (email), and links to author websites and/or social media accounts.
- Enter payment details and select SUBMIT.
- Wait for your ANNIHILATION RADIATION COMPETITION pack to arrive in your inbox.
- Write your short story.
- Reply to the email containing your ANNIHILATION RADIATION COMPETITION PACK and attach your short story in accordance with the entry criterion below. PLEASE put the title of your story in your email header.
Type and format the short story as per the following instructions:
Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).
- One entry per author
- Not published in any other anthology, zine or online press.
- Written in English
- A maximum of 8,000 words
- Font: Cambria, Times New Roman, Bookman Old Style 12pt, black
- Double spaced
- Front page with title of the story, BEGINNING, DURING or AFTER (dependent on what you have been given) and word count
Entries not submitted in accordance with the Entry Instructions and Entry terms and Conditions will not be eligible for consideration.
Entry Terms and Conditions
1) All entries will be read by the STORGY Publishing Team and a shortlist of exceptional short stories will be produced and from which a winner and two runners up will be selected. All shortlisted stories will appear in the Annihilation Radiation Anthology.
2) 1st place award is worth £500.
3) 2nd place award is worth £100.
4) 3rd place award is worth £50.
1) The Award is open to all.
2) The story must not contain more than 8,000 words.
3) The entry must be submitted by the author or his/her representative.
4) Only one entry per author permitted.
5) Authors can only enter individually and not as part of a writing team.
6) The story entered must be unpublished.
7) The story submitted must be original, fictional, and entirely the author’s own work.
8) Entries are limited to stories written in English.
9) We have spaces available for No/Lo income writers. If you would like to enter, please email email@example.com and a member will be in touch within 48 hours.
By submitting a story for the award the entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the winning or any other shortlisted story will be published free of any fees or royalty payments.
The STORGY Short Story Award will be looking for the best new writing and will consider all entries on the basis of quality and originality of prose and narrative voice. The Award aims to support excellence in the short story genre.
Judging of the Award will be as follows:
1) All entries will be read by STORGY contributors against the Award criterion and a shortlist will be created.
2) Shortlisted and winning writers will be contacted personally by email.
3) The voting outcome is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
STORGY MAGAZINE is offering free entry to the ANNIHILATION RADIATION Short Story Competition for low/no-income writers. We will receive applications for free entries until 30th January 2020 any stories entered after this time will be disqualified. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further correspondence.
FREE ENTRY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Free entry to the ANNIHILATION RADIATION Short Story Competition is offered to writers who are on a low/no-income – for example, receiving benefits or those who are earning less than the National Living Wage in their country of residence.
To apply, email SUBMIT@STORGY.COM, with the email subject line ‘ANNIHILATION RADIATION Free Entry Application’. In the body of the email, please include:
- Your full name
- Your email address
- A short written statement describing how you are eligible
Applications for free entries will be open until 30th January 2020. Any application submitted after the closing date will not be read. Only one free entry will be granted per applicant. Applicants must wait to see if their application is successful before entering the ANNIHILATION RADIATION Short Story Competition; if your application is successful you will receive your ANNIHILATION RADIATION details via email. STORGY MAGAZINE will not grant refunds on already paid-for entries.
To celebrate the release of
We are offering a whopping 60% off previously published STORGY titles:
EXIT EARTH & SHALLOW CREEK!
That’s 21 stories for £4.99*
or 42 stories for £9.98*
*(R.R.P. £12.99 each. Postal charges apply)
Simply click on the images below and take advantage of this limited time offer.
Unlike many other Arts & Entertainment Magazines, STORGY is not Arts Council funded or subsidised by external grants or contributions. The content we provide takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce, and relies on the talented authors we publish and the dedication of a devoted team of staff writers. If you enjoy reading our Magazine, help to secure our future and enable us to continue publishing the words of our writers. Please make a donation or subscribe to STORGY Magazine with a monthly fee of your choice. Your support, as always, continues to inspire.