We are pleased to announce that the 2015 STORGY Short Story Competition will be judged by critically acclaimed author
Paul McVeigh’s short fiction has been published in the New Century New Writing, Rattle Tales 2 & 3 and Unbraiding the Short Story anthologies, Harrington’s Fiction Journal, Flash Flood Journal, The Stinging Fly and been commissioned by BBC Radio 4. He has read his work on BBC Radio 5, at the Belfast Book Festival, the International Conference on the Short Story in Vienna and the Cork International Short Story Festival. He represented the UK short story for The Brittish Council in Mexico this year.
He is currently working on a short story collection and his first novel was published in April this year and was shortlisted for The Guardian’s ‘Not The Booker’ Prize.
Paul is the Co-Founder of the London Short Story Festival and Associate Director of Word Factory, The UK’s leading short story salon. He has judged numerous short story competitions and prizes and his blog on the short story receives approximately 40,000 international hits a month. He has also interviewed prize-winning and critically acclaimed authors such as George Saunders and Kevin Barry.
Read our Interview with Paul McVeigh here:
The Period for Submissions opens on 23rd November 2015
1st Prize – £500
2 Runner Up Awards – £25 Book Vouchers
All winners will receive a signed copy of Paul McVeigh’s debut novel ‘The Good Son.’
Finalists to be published in The 2015 STORGY Short Story Competition Anthology
£5 Entry Fee
- Submissions for the 2015 STORGY Short Story Competition will be accepted from 23rd November 2015
- The deadline for receipt of entries is 11.00pm December 31st 2015
How to Enter
Applicants are encouraged to submit online to firstname.lastname@example.org as early as possible before the deadline.
Instructions for Entering by Email
1) Type and format the short story as per the following instructions: Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) with the story title and author identity in the file name.
- One entry per author
- Written in English
- A maximum of 5,000 words
- Font: any font, 12pt, black
- Double spaced
- Front page with title of the story, author name, and word count
2) Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) with story title and author name in the file.
3) Attach the file to an email with the subject line ‘2015 STORGY Short Story Competition’.
4) Complete payment of £5 entry fee via Paypal and include the billing reference number within submission email.
5) Send submissions for the 2015 STORGY Short Story Competition to email@example.com
5) Please ‘like‘ our Facebook page and share details of the competition with friends and family.
Entries not submitted in accordance with the Entry Instructions and Entry terms and Conditions will not be eligible for consideration.
Entry Terms and Conditions
1) All entries will be read by at least two (2) STORGY contributors and a shortlist of exceptional short stories will be presented to Paul McVeigh from which a winning story and two runner up stories will be selected.
2) The winning award is worth £500.
3) The runner up award is 2 x £25 book vouchers.
1) The Award is open to all.
2) The story must not contain more than 5,000 words.
3) The entry must be submitted by the author or his/her representative.
4) Only one entry per author permitted.
5) Authors can only enter individually and not as part of a writing team.
6) The story entered must be unpublished.
7) The story submitted must be original, fictional, and entirely the author’s own work.
8) Entries are limited to stories written in English.
By submitting a story for the award the entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the winning or any other shortlisted story will be made available on the STORGY website free of any fees or royalty payments.
The STORGY Short Story Award will be looking for the best new writing and will consider all entries on the basis of quality and originality of prose and narrative voice. The Award aims to support excellence in the short story genre.
Judging of the Award will be as follows:
1) All entries will be read by STORGY contributors against the Award criterion and a shortlist presented to Paul McVeigh for judging.
2) Shortlisted and winning writers will be contacted personally by email.
3) The voting outcome is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
We look forward to reading your Short Stories and wish you the best of luck for the 2015 STORGY Short Story Competition.
Entry Fee Payment:
The 2014 STORGY Short Story Competition Anthology is available on Amazon for £1.99, and contains fourteen longlisted short stories, author interviews, afterwords, and exclusive artwork by STORGY illustrator Harlot Von Charlotte, in addition to STORGY’s interview with 2014 competition judge; David James Poissant.
Cover design by Rob Pearce.